Thursday, October 30, 2014

Vegan Peanut Brittle

A Scrumptious Holiday Gift

No, I am not a vegan. I love the idea of being 'vegan' but the sick part of me thinks of it as a dirty word.

…That sounds even more f*cked as I read it and yet I can't force myself to erase it because I actually think that! And not because we are humans and have the power to kill, take, milk, cook, and eat..blah, blah, blah. I think I feel that way because I can't possibly fathom my life without knowing the pleasure of butter, eggs, milk, cheese, and bacon. In fact, I am grateful to all the animals who give me the joys of non-vegan consumption. Thank you Animals! You make my life so much more exquisite.

That all being said my family has a habit of thinking that not eating such products makes you healthier. And in someways I know it's true but in many other ways its just crap. I mean come on! These are all natural products that have been consumed for hundreds of thousands of years! These crazy mother truckers have a different 'food allergy' every holiday...No Gluten, No Dairy, No Sugar, No Nuts, No Chicken, No Legumes. They really take the joy out of cooking/eating don't they?!

But because we come from the same gene pool and I love them terribly, I appease them and there silly food phobia of the month, as best I can. Thus, Vegan Peanut Brittle for the holiday season. And I promise you really won't give two hoots that there is no butter or milk in this brittle at all…..but it would be amazing with some bacon in there...Oh, someone please try that! For my sake!



Vegan Peanut Brittle


1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup coconut milk
½ cup water
1 cup brown rice syrup
3 tablespoons Earth Balance
1 lb shelled unroasted peanuts
1 tsp salt (Optional)


Butter 2 cookie sheets, 15 1/2 x 12 inches

Mix baking soda, 1 tsp water and the vanilla and put it to the side. 

In a sauce pan mix sugar, 1 cup water and the corn syrup together. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to 240 degrees F on candy thermometer. Once it reaches the correct temp stir in margarine and peanuts. Cook, stirring constantly to 300 degrees F. This can take a while but don't let it burn because your heart will break and that's not good. Once it hits 300 degrees F pull it from the heat and stir in baking soda. 

Divid the candy mixture between the two sheet and spread until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Do this step fast because it will cool quick. Sprinkle with salt or don't but you should cause it AMAZING. Cool and break into pieces. 

Wrap it up all pretty and give it all away. Or be a fat-ass like me and keep it all for yourself. Either way. 





No comments:

Post a Comment